Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What price - future?

"Is it expensive to raise a child?  I dread to think how I can do so later after I can married..." a colleague commented last night on our way home after work.  Yes, it sure is expensive!

I am more prudent with money these days, given the experience of not drawing any income in the month of November, when I had no lessons to teach.  I am recording every cent I spend this year so that I can plan my finance and save some money for a rainy day, I hope.

It sure does not help for the children to start extra phonics lessons now, but I had wanted them to gain more exposure and experience.  As a parent, of course I hope for my children to receive the best (within my means) in everything!

I know I had told myself that the children had enough of books of last them for quite a long while.  However, I could not stop myself from purchasing this set of books - which includes CDs, stories, encyclopedias and all - when I saw it on sale at IMM.  It did not take the salesperson too long to convince me that I wanted to buy the set of books.  The damage inflicted on me?  $2992 (in twenty-four monthly instalments)!



The old bookcase, and the new one!


I have been involving Yen in the reading to our children - she does the reading on nights I have to work.  The routine we have set up for the past week is simple: Bedtime for our elder children means they get to read books of their choice.  It can be the books of phonics using the books on Clifford the Big Red Dog.  We will explore two pages on the book of nouns with Rachel and Felix, then read as much as we can for a Magic English book that reinforces their learning with the CD, which they might watch in the evening  after dinner, or the next day.  Last but not least, there is a bedtime story a day.

On top of these, there is a set of encyclopedia, a set of "I Wonder Why" books and a few "Ripley's believe it or not" books, which I intend to let them use on their own gradually when they can manage them and are done with the simpler books.  There is also a set of books teaching social-emotional skills using stories.  That is a lot!  Is it worth the money?  I do hope so!

Most importantly, it forces Yen and me to sit down with them to spend some time helping them in their learning.  Essential bonding time, I feel.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment