Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Stickers, stickers, everywhere!

Have parents of young children fumed over having stickers pasted all over the place?  Most children love colourful stickers of their favourite cartoon characters.  Like bees to honey, children of the early ages get attracted to stickers so much that they would not want to let go of these tiny pieces of paper.

Like most parents, I do not want stickers of Pokemon or Mickey Mouse intrude my nicely furnished home.  They can stay in the television sets just fine.  I refrain from giving my children stickers.  I learnt previously from a colleague that we cannot blame children from misusing the gifts we have given them.  I mean - how can you punish a child for colouring the textbooks with nice new markers, a Children's Day gift from their beloved teacher?

I know swords never stay in their shelths forever.  My trio will be exposed to the wonder of stickers being pasted to things sooner or later.  By then, stickers will climb up my walls and furniture, and stake a place in the house until I forcefully remove them.

I always believe education is the key to good behaviour.  That is why I had inculcated in my children "Stickers belong to books, not on the walls, nor furniture".  My elder two seemed to have learnt well and I was quite glad this had worked.  Recently, however, I discovered that I have underestimated Kayleen's innocence before...


"Argh!  Why is Stitch here," I enquired in dismay, "and these stars?"

"Kayleen put it there," offered Rachel.

Kayleen gawked at me with big, round eyes.  How could I punish her then?  She probably had not understood my words!  I had to find a solution before it was too late.  Rather than stopping their action, their avenue of expressing themselves and perhaps, unleashing their creativity, why don't I let them do so in an appropriate place?

I got them a nice note book/pad.  "You may use this as your sticker book," I instructed our trio.  Without waiting, they took over the book and started sticking the stickers on its pages.



They were happy that night, crowding around the book sticking stickers.

Give the children an avenue to express themselves.  Educate them the rights and the wrongs.  Stopping them doing what they like to do may work momentarily, but may not help them understand why they should not do so, and how they can get certain things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment