Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Is this the best for them?

I think I thoroughly understand parents of my students now, when they receive telephone calls from their child's school.  Nine times out of ten, their child would have erred in some way.  The remaining time would be a toss up between the child falling ill or injuring him or herself.  I cannot 'escape' from my children's teachers when I fetch them from play-school almost daily and had an interesting discussion with Felix's teacher recently...

"Felix is getting my reassurance for almost every single detail in his work in Art.  I don't expect that of him," she began.  Felix's teacher explained that Felix is considered 'ahead' of children in his class in his learning and one of the few who could be left alone in his work after the initial instructions are given.  The teacher can then concentrate on his classmates who do not comprehend her or are unable to accomplish their work as they need help in reading or writing.  This is the second time that she had let me in, that Felix had been running to her to ask the simpliest of questions (e.g. "Can I draw a cat?", "Which colour should I use?", etc.) and staring blankly after getting back to his seat.

The first time we spoke about this a couple of months ago, she had felt that the Art enrichment lesson Felix is attending on Sunday, whereby he does only painting with a teacher's instruction and much help in touching up, is not beneficial in his creativity and cognition.  I had felt that way earlier but had allowed him to carry on with Yen's reasoning, that the lesson kept Felix occupied while Rachel is having ballet.  Moreover, Felix enjoys the lessons too.

Following my initial conversation with Felix's teacher, the Art lesson taught Felix more things apart from painting - they involved him in making imprints of things of different textures too.  At that time, Yen told me that she had just paid up a few month's fees upfront and I left it at that.

Another conspiracy theory would be that Felix was trying to get the teacher's attention.  He might have noticed how his classmates had got teachers' attention when they did not know how things were done, and he clamoured for attention too.  Or perhaps he was 'pushing his luck' to see how much he could get away with.

I had reflected to Felix's teacher that he was not displaying that kind of behaviour at home.  I was waiting for her to give me some suggestions at what she felt I could try out.  But perhaps I was too hopeful.  She went on during that discussion, stating that Felix was top in his class for reading (my teaching and the phonics lesson he attends had helped) and word recognition.  However, when his classmates go to him to ask him if he knew how to spell a word that he had spelt correctly in front of the class for the teacher previously, Felix would shy away and say that he forgot.  The teacher was not sure if he was trying his best, or was he being pressurised not to be 'smarty-pants' in front of his friends, to avoid being shunned by them?

You see, Felix is good at reading and remembering words in the English language.  When I teach Rachel and Felix together, Felix is almost always the quicker one to get the spelling of words, and he would remember them better.  Rachel, on the other hand, is much stronger in numbers.  Felix has developed this keen interest in reading, although I am not very sure he comprehends what he reads.

Felix's teacher continued to say that not all parents of the children in her class spend as much time teaching early reading to their own children.  Tired from the day's work, parents were probably leaving this job to the children's teachers.  She also explained that my children could feel that they knew all that their teacher was teaching in play-school, resulting in them not paying attention in class later.  The discussion we had brought no conclusion, but left some questions in my head.

Am I wrong in teaching my children what they could know?  Am I pushing them too hard??  I have my own brand of thinking.  The discussion with Felix's teacher left me some reason to examine what I had believed was the best for my children again...

5 comments:

  1. Don't worry bro... we are doing what most parents are struggling to do - i.e. getting the basic skills of reading and arithmetic that they desperately to conquer before they enter Primary 1 in our current education system. Our kids are lucky because we have the benefit to see what we don't want them to become - struggling with the words and numbers at lower primary and subsequently falling behind.

    We could have enrolled Amir to an 'elite' or branded pre-school but the hassle of getting transport for him and the inevitable comparisons between other kiasu parents was something the wife and me chose to avoid. We enrolled him in the PCF at the void deck. Sure he's well ahead of his peers and prefers to mind his own puzzles at first but we got our objective - for him to be in a school setting and mix around with the other kids in our neighbourhood.

    The next stressful thing was enrolling him into a good school next year. We needed to ensure that he is at least in a reputable neighbourhood school. Here is where I hope the school will be able to push him that little bit further so that he isn't that bored. Felix probably is a little bored in class which is why tries to find ways to get the teacher's attention. Quite common. Common too that he seeks permission to colour his cat because I choose to view it as an obedient boy who relishes the subsequent action more because it's approved by the person important to him at that moment. It's a self-defense mechanism from future disappointment.

    Don't worry about him not paying attention in class later because that is a totally different ball game altogether. It should be the class teacher's responsibility to ensure there is enough material to sufficiently keep him occupied - even if it means to be a 'teacher-assistant' to help the weaker kids in class. Plus, the other important thing to have here is to teach him alternatively acceptable ways to 'get out of boredom' - read a book! After the last English workshop I had I've learnt that it is no use to be draconian and insist that each child pays attention to you while you are teaching in class. If they're the higher ability students and they KNOW what you are going to teach, let them read in class, silently. They are not disrupting anyone, are they? However, I do tell them that this privilege will be stopped should they not do their written assignments as expected.

    My point here is to do what you feel right as an awesome dad because only you know who your son is and what he is capable of. We've got it right so far by allowing them to learn at their own pace while still keeping their interest. A lot of my education towards my boys have always been incidental learning and taking advantage of whatever that captures their attention at the moment. Hence, taking into account of what level of achievement they should have at the various ages, I adjusts my expectations and motivate them accordingly.

    Don't kick yourself too hard for thinking that you've pushed them too hard. You'd be doing them a disfavour when reality whacks them in the face if they can't think for themselves when they need to - worst, if they can't even spell their own name consistently at Primary 2 (like some kids I know...)

    Ok, these are my 2-cents worth... I hope it helps, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I just realized that my response is as long as your entry! Hahaha... sorry ah! I didn't mean to out-do you... I am just very lor sor :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your reply, abang! You are right - I definitely do not want my children to find it tough in school later. Besides, our 'kiasu'-ness stems from the fact that many parents are sending their children to enrichment classes, and it seems a disservice to our own if we had taught them enough!

    I want to teach them as much as I can, for it to be a springboard to success in life later, so that they can continue to learn when they are independent in their schooling years and beyond. It is not my fault that they are ahead of some. They are behind many we do not see, I'm sure! I hope all works well for our children...

    ReplyDelete