Total Pageviews

Monday, October 10, 2011

Parenthood - A job that we cannot refuse

Browsing through the many photographs friends had posted on Facebook brought wide smiles on my face.  They all had one thing in common - the photographs in question were taken of their children, with or without my friends in them.  I stumbled on one of this friend who had almost taken his own life earlier due to some personal problems.  How life would have been different for this friend if he had succeeded at taking his own life?  Is he be looking at his child now, thinking how lucky he is to be still alive, watching his child grow?

Everytime I think about our precious children, I thank the Lord that He has given them to us.  I had got married with Yen and decided to assume the role of parents early in our marriage.  We are now blessed with three healthy children.  However, life is not a bed of roses.  We have our share of woes and heartaches with our trio.  They are imperfect.  Far from it, to be exact:

Rachel has yet to understand that as the eldest child in our family, she has responsibilities.  She would whine about aches (real or imaginary?) almost every morning while having breakfast on the way to play-school in the morning and still thinks of herself first in many scenarios.

Felix is still maturing, and his tantrums belie his physical age.  He wants to be the first to enter the lift so that he can take the reins and press the lift buttons inside.  He cries, almost uncontrollably, at every little problem or pain that stands in his way.

Kayleen is still undergoing his terrible-twos (will it ever end??).  This little belle wants everything her way: Her siblings cannot sing-along to songs that she sings to (they 'copy' her), eat things that she wants, and frowns at every tiny thing that is against her wishes.

We are not born to be parents, too.  I am still learning as I go along.  However, unlike other jobs that I have (or have had), this is not one that I can (or will) shirk.  I cannot call it quits.  I cannot call for time out and take leave.  These jewels we have are ours, our responsibility.  We brought them into this world, and we jolly well make sure that we teach them as much as we know and provide the best that we can for.  In fact, I will be extremely glad if they outdo this 'nobody' of a father!

I need not leave behind any legacy in work.  I dare not think about leaving behind millions of dollars to help them sail through life in a world of luxury.  But I know I will try my best to ingrain and instil in them good values so that they will grow up and be good, responsible people they ought to be and live lives where they leave nothing to regret about...  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment