Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Getting ready for primary schools

"You are lucky," a friend quipped, "you have two schools to choose from for your children!  So which are you intending to send your children to?"

I smiled wryly.  Is it really any good?  Sure, they are almost literally 'a stone's throw away'.  Jurong West Primary School has been standing there before I had moved in and next year will see the opening of registration for a new school, Frontier Primary School, on the other side of my block.  Lucky, you say?

If you think of the convenience - sure.  It will be hassle-free if they were to attend those schools.  But, they are...  the epitome of neighbourhood schools are...  *gasp*  (I 'hear' audible sighs of surprise)  My wife had graduated from one in Bedok, and many other friends had.  They maintain that there is nothing wrong with sending their children to one, while casting looks of disapproval on me.

I had studied in Nan Hua Primary School.  A 'SAP' school, branded one?  When I was a student there, that was hardly the case.  I got a place there based on that being my mother's alma mater, and because it was just down the street when I resided in Clementi Avenue 1, near the home of its old building in the said street.  Though I am not in a position to claim that the school produces excellent students for certain, I dare say that it would give my children a 'better chance' to succeed in life later.

You see - good teachers, though not necessarily all going to good schools, are wanted by all schools.  They could be proud that they are teaching in a school with relative prestige.  Schools on that level can easily 'get rid' of poor performers, those that do not match their school's desired outcomes.  Though I cannot vouch that all teachers in the said school are great, I can safely say that most of them should be able to produce some 'baseline' results.

Coming from the education line and being an ex-teacher in a primary school, I have witnessed how children from neighbourhood schools 'lose out', due to their parents trying their best to provide for their families.  This, inevitably compromises time with their children, bringing about many 'latch-key' children.  Children without proper guidance of a significant other.

This does not mean to say that all children who have parents who work at home / are housewifes excel in the academic area.  Some are just there to ensure that their children do not go awry in terms of behaviour.  Some can hardly 'value-add' in the area of the children's school work.  Their children may be 'milder' in terms of behaviour, but it does not guarantee excellence in studies.

Sending my trio to a school that teaches, without distractions of classmates' family problems and their errant behaviour, is just the first step in hope for bright futures for my jewels.  We have to continue to assist them in their work and emotional well-being for them to get closer to the 'complete picture' and an ideal life later.

4 comments: