Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

The General Elections - over again!

I did my best to refrain from writing a post about the General Elections - there are enough experts (wanna-bes) among my friends that another post would be crying foul.  I am careful not to broach subjects that invite disagreement, argument or debate.  They are too 'exciting' for me.  It would invite too diverse a view and supporters of various parties may turn discussions into a  name-calling feast.  Views, like they say - are arseholes; everyone has one.

But I dislike how people like to taunt others by saying that "the 60 (or how-ever-many) per cent " - are you happy that the GST is rising now?" or "you voted them into power - now bear the consequences".  I mean - it is not like MY vote was the deciding one, right?

Interestingly, I have three friends (okay, more like acquaintances) who ran in the elections this time round.  I know PAP's Desmond Tan from my time in the armed forces when he was the commanding officer of a unit of my headquarters.

Ms Chan Hui Yuh is the wife of my high-flying ex-colleague, Vincent.  I met her a couple of times outside of SAF.  I have also seen Mr Loganathan, formerly from the same vocation in the armed forces as well.  I do not know too much about him.  I cannot remember if I have ever spoken to him too.

The elections set me thinking: all the candidates - whichever party they represent - are vying for seats to Parliament to raise issues for Singapore and Singaporeans, aren't they?  If so, why are they slinging mud and smearing the good names of some with dirt?  Do we - Singaporeans - not win, whatever the result and whoever is elected, as the 'best' people have been picked to steer our country in the right (if it was ever wrong) direction?

Why are the parties fighting to win more seats in the Parliament for themselves?  Whoever wins: will these people not cast all inhibitions aside and form a cohesive team for us for the next few years before the next battle?

The "supporters" who adore the candidates of their parties - should they not be respectful of everyone and applaud all who stand for the elections as the winners are our leaders for next few years?  Is there a need to show their 'undying love' for their party's candidates by discrediting others and destroying / hiding other parties'banners / posters / flags?

I have many unanswered questions, but did my best as I tried to explain what had been happening to our trio.  My parents had never spoken to me about the subject and I knew very little until I turned adult myself and started hearing and reading about these.  I was a judge for myself to the things that are happening around us.

I did my best to explain what the elections are about, without fear or favour, to our trio.  I will leave them to judge the rights and wrongs in the political scene as they grow up to become (hopefully - useful) responsible citizens themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment