Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Feeling like a foreigner in...

"...  I said, 'Here I am, here I am, here I am...'  but why do I feel like an invisible man..." sang Joshua Kadison in his song.  Okay, not exactly my sentiments.  However, I do feel like a foreigner every time I step in Chinatown.  Huh?

Don't get me wrong.  I am born and bred in Singapore (though there is a trace of foreign blood in me from my Malaysian born parents).  But being a true blue Singaporean, you will not believe me when I tell you that I have not been to Chinatown for many times in my years.  "What?"  Yes, you've heard me right.  I seldom set foot in our busiest settlement, especially during the Lunar New Year period.

My parents had not brought me there when I was younger.  Along with my penchant for less crowded areas, Chinatown is an area I avoid like a plague.  I hate getting my toes trampled on and bumping into sweaty bodies. Not to mention the fear of getting my pocket picked.  Oh, that too - I like getting what I need and zipping out of the shopping areas (after paying, of course!).

I remember watching Lunar New Year celebration shows broadcasting 'live' from Chinatown and seeing the crowd in the background.  I do not envy the people there one bit.  All these have tallied up all my 'reasons' for not visiting Chinatown these years of my life.  During this block of leave my wife had recently, I suggested gamely to 'explore' the streets there.

We found a number of antique shops - no, not the kind selling vases; the kinds that sold old games, record-players, etc.  If you were looking for stuff used during the seventies or eighties, look no further.  You might just find what you are looking for in shops like those in Chinatown.  Looking for chinese herbs?  A seldom found type of Chinese medicine?  Medical halls are aplenty in Chinatown.

Need a History lesson?  Go to Chinatown.  There, we can find old shophouses, clothes, art forms...  You should even be able to find people who have lived past the second World War if you need to conduct interviews for projects!

I left Chinatown with my wife that day, thankful that we had made that trip.  There was so much colour, vibrance,  so many common sights that we take for granted - all found there.  I now know where my children can go if they need to work on a project on 'the early days of Singapura' later.

No comments:

Post a Comment