Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Kayleen's first day at play-school

It is the time of our children’s lives again – the first day of school!  Yes, it is just play-school, and we have two previous experiences earlier in Rachel and Felix, so everything should be a breeze for Kayleen’s first day at play-school.  Or is it?

I was lulled into complacency.  A false sense of belief that we have everything that Kayleen might need two weeks before her scheduled entrance into The Little Skool-House (On-the-Hill).  She must have everything that is needed!  She can always get things from hand-me-downs…  It was Yen who pressed urgently for us to get Kayleen a new bag and waterbottle days before the past Monday that jolted me back into reality.  That sprang us into action over the past weekend, before we finally settled on a ‘Minnie Mouse’ pink bag and a ‘Barney’ bottle that she could readily identify.
As of our elder princess and prince, who had Yen to accompany them and ensure that they would gel into the play-school and its environment, Kayleen had, well, yours truly.  Not her obvious choice, I am sure, but the play-school was probably glad that I had come as Kayleen did not cling on to me that much.

She was oblivious to the change from norm - she needed to follow us in the morning on her first day.  She explored the toys around upon reaching the ‘Toddler’ class activity area and showed no signs of not being used to the place at all.
Kaleen experienced many ‘first’s this day – attending play-school, playing in the midst of a class, as well as playing with paint.  That is something we have not tried giving our children due to the mess that comes along with the fun.  Kayleen took all these in good stride, I guess, from the look of things.

Lunch was a chore as she has only developed four teeth – the two upper and lower front ones.  That, and the fact that she had always been pampered and fed at home gave the teachers an additional task during her meal-time.  I stayed with her until a quick bath and nap.  Kayleen had trouble napping initially.  Perhaps it was due to the fact that she normally slept at two-plus.  Or perhaps I was around.  So I left the premises of the play-school a little before midday to try letting her gain her independence from family.
By the time I returned, she had awoken and on seeing me, Kayleen stretched out her arms to me, signalling that she wanted me to carry her.  Smart lass!  Thinking of home already!  Unfortunately, her elder siblings had enrichment programmes (in the form of some gymnastics class) and I had to leave her wanting.  Sigh!
By the time we were ready to go at five, she had attended her first full-day at play-school.  She was probably excited to see Yen when we made a stop to pick Yen up.  At home, she was quite normal too.  All things bode well for day two at play-school, the beginning of her few years here…  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment