Total Pageviews

Monday, November 22, 2010

Our Christmas tree

We are not Christians.  Well, at least not yet.  It had never been a family tradition to have a Christmas tree up during the Christmas holidays.  It was until I got married and moved into our current flat, which had a little more space and is seemingly less 'cluttered', that Yen and I purchased a Christmas tree and shopped for decorations.

I think I was saying that I wanted our children to know and 'feel' the celebrations for the festive occasions.  Well, somehow, I did not put up big red decorations for the Lunar New Year.  I wonder why?

Christmas these past few years have seen us set up a tree for the festival at home.  Thus far, our elder princess and prince have been obedient when told not to go near the tree, not to lay their hands on it.  So we decided to set it up again this year.  And we were going to involve our children henceforth.  How exciting it will be for them now, I thought.  I was right.

I have been telling them that we were going to put up the said tree soon, but we had not found the opportune time yet.  Rachel and Felix sure had their eyes glimmering with excitement when they saw the foreign-looking box containing the Christmas tree sitting in the living room after their nap on the past Sunday.


They could not wait to get started in helping out too.  From the word 'go', they wrapped their little hands all over the tree.  I had a hard time trying to tell them what to do whilst trying to figure it out myself too.  You cannot blame me for my predicament.  I see the tree for about a month annually and this is only our fourth meeting!


Our ever-enthusiastic children helped set the tree up and put the decorations on it.  Blame it on their height that they were constantly decorating the same place of the tree closest to them!  Yen and I had to constantly remind them to move to other places around the tree to hang their mini 'disco balls', 'snowflakes', etc. on different parts of the tree.


 

All these, too, while we tried to capture the precious moments of their joy on camera so that they can grow up and reminisce on these good times they had.

The result?  An exuberant pair of children, proud of their good work.  And a silent destroyer in the form of their young baby sister.
 

1 comment:

  1. So nice! We just set up the Xmas tree too but not as tall as yours. It is excited to get the tree up but I dun want to think abt keeping it. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete