Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Taking a family photograph

I have always envied my friends who have family photographs displayed at home.  To me, it somehow examplifies the close bonds the family has built within itself across the years.  It is with joy too, to see the progress in the members of the family - the ageing (in a nice way!), the growing of the children, the addition of members, the upgrade of status (think education - taking a photograph after receiving a university degree by each child-member).


I have never had one taken.  That is why when my father passed on a few years ago, I felt a sense of void.  I felt regret, something that I normally tell myself not to have in life.  Regret that I had not been able to let my father lead a comfortable life before he moved on.  Regret that I had not given him the opportunity to see his elder son get married and let him carry his own grandchild.  Regret that he left us too little memories.

My father was a man of few words.  He rarely spoke to us.  Much less take photographs.  The only one that he left me was this 5R one of him at work.  Think he was not aware of someone taking that photograph and it was probably given to him as a souvenir of his long service with his former employer, Port of Singapore Authorities.

I respected him as my father.  However, I cannot say that we were extremely close as family.  We hardly did things together.  Sigh.  When I looked at my friends and their parents, I sometimes turn green...  But I digress.  I want a family photograph with my own family.  For memories.  For reminiscing later.

I was making use of this month-long break to tidy up my things that I had just stashed away in my study last week when I came across this receipt.  To my pleasant surprise, it was one dated 14 Dec 2004, from a phtography studio.  The package I bought was for photography services of some basic photograph-package.  Excited, I called the company (had to make sure that it was still in operation) to check that it honoured my receipt.  I then proceeded to make an appointment for a family photography shoot the following Sunday.

Fast forward.  Today was the day.  It was a huge challenge getting my three jewels co-operating in front of the camera.  Torturous at times.  I almost pulled some hair off my scalp this afternoon and got a quick hair-trim.  But we managed to get through it and I came back a happy man.  I will not get to hang up the pictures on my wall so soon, but it will be in time for Christmas, I think.  Great!  One more milestone reached in my family's journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment