Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mega-memory (not!)

“Daddy!  Did you remember to ask about Kayleen’s uniform for their play-school?”  Yen checked with me casually (well, it sounded casually at first!) just the other day.  I forgot.  I provided some silly excuse, about how the neighbouring squirrel in the play-school’s compounds distracted me…  “And where is the lunchbox that was used to contain their breakfast?” I almost choked.  Left in play-school!  How can someone so muddle-headed and forgetful be left alone to take care of three children?
True enough, I shall have to admit that memory work is not one of my strengths.  Tell me something and I’ll forget about it fifteen minutes flat later.  Serious.  But ‘To err is with human’, right?  We are bound to make errors.  It is just that mine are more glaring when it comes to recalling things. 
Friends schooled in psychology will tell you that ‘forgetting’ is an area of research as well, as will Wikipedia.  It explained that it may be due to something that has not been done before – that is somewhat new to us – that we may not be able to commit to memory (I cannot say I had never done this breakfast thing with them before!).  Or it may be that we were ‘disturbed’ by other things when we were trying to remember something (in my case – the squirrel).  Worse, it is the work of a greater illness, like dementia or something!
Dementia?  No!  According to a website, there is no cure for it at this moment and “it is currently not possible to restore brain cells affected by the disease”.  How do we avoid dementia then?
Our very own Health Promotion Board recommends taking fruit, vegetables, cocoa, etc. to improve blood flow and protect brain tissues.  Of course, we have to keep thinking and moving.  Makes sense as staying thoughtless probably aids one in going senile.


Food for thought.  Mull over it.  I'll catch up with you later, after I sip a nice cup of coffee studying why the squirrel can run along a barbwire without getting itself injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment