Total Pageviews

Friday, October 22, 2010

I want some chicken tonight!

"I want some chicken tonight..." Does this song from a particular advertisement years ago sound familiar to your?  Yes?  If so, you are at least my age, or beyond!  =P

I had always wanted to learn how to cook a proper meal for my family.  However, my successes at the moment are limited to your usual instant noodles (praise the Lord for this invention!), hard-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, instant noodles with egg, etc.

I happened to be browsing in Lot 1 in Choa Chu Kang this morning and saw cook books.  Since I was thinking of trying my hand at cooking in a big way next month, I thought, "Why not today?"  I looked for a suitable cook book and decided that soups may be the best option at this time.  I bought a book with English and Chinese instructions so that I could always turn to my mother for help in times of need.  Wise move!



Went home.  I had wanted to check what ingredients were needed so that I can start brewing soup tomorrow afternoon after work.  I looked through the cook book.  Then, looked at my mother.  "Do we have ingredients for this one?"  I checked.

"I think we have them..." she replied wistfully.  BINGO!  Today's the day then, since I work at 7.45pm and my Rachel cannot leave school-house before 5pm due to this Mandarin-enrichment programme we had elected for her to take up.  There we go...


Weighed out the herb / ingredients and placed them in a big bowl.  Simple enough.  Next was the chicken.  I had to 'tear' its skin off.  That was hard.  Given the slippery conditions it was in, the few pieces of chicken drumstick gave me a run for my money.  I had to 'man-handled' them...  Skin finally off.  Check cook book. "Boil water and scald chicken," it read.  'Scald' chicken??!?

After explanation from the expert, I understood that it was to remove excess oil and dirt in the chicken.  It was not difficult.  Washed the chicken, boiled more water and slipped the ingredients into the pot.  Water was boiled, simmer for twenty minutes, and now it is in the slow cooker...

It smells fine.  At least to me.  Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, they say.  Or the cook, in this case.  Will have to await my main customers to return from work and play to give me the verdict.  I hope I'll pass the test??  Ha...

No comments:

Post a Comment